Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Team Khartoum

Adriana Biedermann

Sunday we finally arrive at our ASP Center.  This year our teams are named after Capitals of Countries.  We are Kahartoum, yes the capital of the Sudan, where the temps average 99 degrees and could exceed 127!  Yes, I think we may have actually reached Kahartoum. 

We drove long enough and it is hot enough.  I can only hope that the Lord has heard my prayers and the heat will break before tomorrow!  Our first sleep in the Warfield Middle School is actually too cold.  Who would have thought to pack sweatpants, long underwear, and a hoodie?!!!?  It rains Sunday night and Monday morning we are down to mild 80 degrees almost no humidity and a nice breeze.  Thank-you Jesus!

We are off to meet our homeowners and even though this is already week five of ASP this is the first week ASP is working on their home.  Bill and Annie's house consists of a trailer attached to a house with an addition attached to the left side of the house.  The addition was built on cinder blocks and because of this the whole room is beginning to lean and is actually in danger of falling off.  And because of the different "add ons"  they are experiencing leaks in every part of their home.  We would also need to try and repair the roof.  Well surprise, who's going to do all this?  Me, Chris and four kids???  Double surprise we will be a two crew group and Andy's crew will be working with us.  Unfortunately his crew consists of 2 boys, 2 girls and the two boys are "newbies".

I sit here and think I'm Paul's message to the Hebrews, "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of the things not seen."  I sure had put alot of faith in my friends and fellow ASPers that we would be able to raise the funds needed, but now what about Bill and Annie?  Could I be as faithful as them watching some 14 & 15 year olds taking off my roof, cover it with a tarp and hope they know what they are doing?  Bill and Annie are terrific.  They are warm and hospitable and like to bring their "chairs" to sit a spell and talk.  I believe they find us all very musing, but I can also tell that they have faith in us, which is pretty good motivation for me to continue our work. 

Sydney Hamilton

ASP is a great experience to help out Bill & Annie, the homeowners.  They are so nice and great.  Bill is hilarious and is a great story teller and he was so nice that he let us eat his fresh onions from their garden.  They have the cutest dog named Bobo who provides great entertainment wile we were on reaks.  I hope we stay in touch with this really nice family. 

Jamie Owens

This year it is my first ASP trip.  I've heard a lot about ASP for years and I was finally allowed to go this summer.  My crew is working on leveling a part of a trailer.  The homeowners, Bill and Annie are really friendly.  I can already tell by the 3rd day of ASP, that it is a great experience. 

Jon Adams

For this being my first trip as an ASP member I am having a wonderful time.  Billy and Annie the homeowners that my ASP group is helping this year, are really showing me what Southern hospitality is all about.  I am glad to finally join this wonderful organization that gives back to people that need it most.  I hope to be back next year to help more people.

Danika Yacik

ASP has always been a time for me to get away from the crazy busy life I lead in Middlesex.  A time to get into the country and help those who are less fortunate than myself. A time to learn new skills I otherwise wouldn't have a chance or a reason to learn. 

A lot of the time people focus on the projects.  What we do while were this here.  But there's more to this trip than plumbing or digging ditches. There's people.  So for my favorite part of ASP this year has been sitting back, chatting with our homeowners, Bill and Annie, while watching their dog, Bobo trot around the yard.  They've taught me a lot in these few days. They may have a leaky roof and a lopsided laundry room, but they ave a love for life that I think a lot of people back home miss out on.  Every morning Bill goes outside and sits on the porch of an old camper enjoying a cup of coffee, a smoke and his "air conditioning" (an old rusty fan we think could double as a propeller.)  He loves growing his green onions (which some of us got to taste -- not bad!) and spending time with his girl, Annie.  Sometimes the neighbor from down the road rides over on his ATV to check in on the two and just relax.  The enjoy the simple things.  Which I think is fantastic.  How often do New Jersians wake up and slowly sip their coffee outside in the sunshine?  More likely their coffee is gulped down as they rush to the office.

Of course working on the house and learning new skills is great, but I am eternally grateful to Bill and Annie (and even little Bobo) for showing me that the most important thing in life is to be happy.

No comments: